Our cars are among our most precious possessions. We hope to use them for many a thing and look after them to the best of our ability. They are also expensive assets to look after. Especially when there is damage of any kind it can add up to a lot of cash out of your pocket. Therefore, the importance of car insurance cannot be stressed enough! Car insurance provides you with different kinds of coverages depending on your policy and are aimed at protecting you from financial loss.
Whether you get an online motor quote in Dubai or walk into an insurance company’s office, everyone is looking to save money and cut corners. The foolish thing to do would be to skip car insurance completely, as some people do and then realise what a bad idea it was once they are in an accident or suffer from some damage. Typically you will find covers and policies that cover aspects like third party damages, injuries, accidents, theft, vandalism, fires, floods and more. You will also find additional coverage options like those for personal injury of the driver and other passengers, vehicle towing and property damage when the other motorist is under insured or uninsured.
Car insurance is something that all vehicle owners need and must look into. If you are worried about high deductibles and premiums and expensive policies you feel you cannot afford, here are a few ways you can cut corners on car insurance –
- Maintain a clean driving record – You cannot drive rashly and unsafely and then expect to be given a good premium rate on your insurance policy. Most insurance companies will always check a driver’s driving record for red flags like tickets, accident history and run-ins with the law. If you have been negligent odds are you will be found a higher risk and will get a motor insurance quote that reflects that.
- The locality and your commute – If you live in a relatively higher crime prone neighbourhood with high incidences of thefts and vandalism to properties of all kinds, this usually leads to higher insurance costs. Insurance companies also take into consideration how long your daily commute is and the average time you spend on the road. If you drive through risky neighbourhoods every day on your daily routine it could add to your payment. It may be a good idea to make changes accordingly.
- Deductible amount – Your deductible is the amount you will have to pay out of pocket in case of an incident. The higher the deductible amount you agree to, usually the lower your insurance payments will be. A lot of people opt to pay for minor expenses themselves rather than filing an insurance claim in order to keep their rates down and help them if ever a larger situation were to occur.
- Install some safety devices – Having safety measures in the car like air bags and anti theft alarms, better locks and the like, helps to not only make you feel more secure, but it also may lower your insurance payments. These additions are definitely worth considering if you don’t already have them and ask your insurance provider if they have a list of approved safety features.
- Choosing a new car carefully – Some models and makes command higher insurance rates. Cars that are considered safe and steady enjoy more benefits as compared to some racier, speedier ones and models that are more prone to theft. The colour also can make a difference as well. If you are buying a new car, these are certain things you can take into consideration.
Find out how you can save by comparison shopping before you decide which insurer and what policy to go for.
A Rasheed is an insurance agent in Dubai. He has been helping clients for 10 years now with various insurance like home and car insurance. He believes that before you get a motor quote in Dubai or any other city, people must educate themselves on the best coverages for them.